Wine Geek Newsletter #89
Did you miss me last week? I was a bit under the weather, unable to have a slurp so I thought I’d take it out on you lot and skip a week… but no fear, I’m back in the drinking seat and there’s plenty to talk about this week, including the best wine event in the calendar, as Wine Car Boot announces details of it’s fourth episode… don’t miss out on this one!
Its not often you get the chance to try Lafite or Penfolds or Huet or Prüm… so how about the chance to taste them all, and more, in a single evening?
A real under the radar white this week as we head back to Alsace and check out some Pinot Blanc:
And if you missed last week’s selection, another chance for you to get your chops around a monster red from southern Italy:
Sainsbury’s are running their annual 25% off the entire range when you buy a minimum of any 6 bottle – get in there by Sunday 9th November to start stocking up for Christmas, and here are a few of the wines I suggest you take a closer look at for your Xmas dinner:
Spaletti Brunello Di Montalcino 2008 (£23.00)
Perrin & Fils Chateauneuf-Du-Pape 2011 (£22.00)
Faustino 1 Rioja Gran Reserva 2001 (£18.00)
Delas Freres Saint Joseph Les Challeys 2012 (£15.00)
Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2014 (£21.00)
Antique Mollet Pouilly Fume 2013 (£17.00)
Brocard Chablis Premièr Cru 2012 (£19.00)
Dr Loosen Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett 2013 (£13.00)
Peter Lehmann Portrait Chardonnay 2012 (£11.25)
Ascheri Gavi Di Gavi 2013 (£12.00)
And don’t forget about some great everyday options from the Taste The Difference range – some of them are already on promotion so its double-dip time:
TTD Amarone 2011 (£15.00 was £16.50)
TTD Gigondas 2012 (£13.00)
TTD Crozes Hermitage 2012 (£10.00)
TTD Barbaresco 2010 (£8.00 was £10.00)
TTD Priorat 2011 (£7.50 was £11.00)
TTD Sancerre 2013 (£12.75)
TTD Chablis 2012 (£10.00)
TTD Coolwater Marlborough Sauvignon 2013 (£9.50)
TTD Bordeaux Sauvignon Blanc 2013 (£7.00)
TTD Muscadet de Sevre et Maine 2013 (£7.00)
TTD Grüner Veltliner (£7.50)
Tesco are also running a 25% off promo across the range when you buy any 4, but that lasts a few weeks so I’ll cover them next week.
Wine Car Boot 4 – £10
Friday, 28 November 2014 from 14:00 to 22:00
Old Spitalfields Market, 16 Horner Square E1 6EW
If you only go to one wine more event in London this year make sure it’s the fourth Wine Car Boot! Wines will be poured by Vinoteca, Borough Wines, Berry Bros & Rudd, Vagabond, Theatre of Wine, Lea & Sandeman, The Sampler, Newcomer, Roberson, Vin Vixen, LDN CRU, Passione Vino, Winemakers Club, Handford and Spitalifields locals Bedales and Uncorked. Plus loads of food options too!
For a glimpse of what to expect, I wrote an article after my visit to Wine Car Boot 3:
What would you do if you got this bill??
A day late for Bonfire night, but what the heck:
It’s Fiona again, this time giving her recommendations for the Sainsbury’s 25% off promo:
Where is confessionsofawinegeek???
The Standard like new wine bar Mission… so do I!
Apologies for skipping a week and being late with some Halloween gags… but what the heck (thank Dad!)!
- What is a Mummie’s favorite type of music? A. Wrap!!!!!
- Why do demons and ghouls hang out together? A. Because demons are a ghouls best friend!
- What’s a monster’s favorite bean? A. A human bean.
- What do you call a witch who lives at the beach? A. A sand-witch.
- What did the skeleton say to the vampire? A. You suck.
- Why did the ghost go into the bar? A. For the Boos.
- Why was the girl afraid of the vampire? A. He was all bite and no bark.
- Why did the game warden arrest the ghost? A. He didn’t have a haunting license.
- Why didn’t the skeleton dance at the party? A. He had no body to dance with.
- Where did the goblin throw the football? A. Over the ghoul line.
- Why doesn’t Dracula mind the doctor looking at his throat. A. Because of the coffin.
- Why is a ghost such a messy eater? A. Because he is always a goblin.
- What do you call a goblin who gets too close to a bonfire? A. A toasty ghosty.
- Why did the Vampire read the Wall Street Journal? Q. He heard it had great circulation.
- What tops off a ghost’s ice cream sundae? A. Whipped scream.
- What are ghosts’ favorite kind of streets? A. Dead ends
- What kind of makeup do ghosts wear? A. Mas-scare-a.
- What happens when two vampires meet? A. It was love at first bite!
- What did the ghost say to the man at the coffee shop? A. Scream or sugar!
- Who was the most famous skeleton detective? A. Sherlock Bones.
- Who was the most famous French skeleton? A. Napoleon bone-apart
- Which building does Dracula visit in New York? A. The Vampire State Building.
- Where do most werewolves live? A. In howllywood, California
- Why did the skeleton go disco dancing? A. to see the boogy man.
- What do you get when you cross a black cat with a lemon. A. sour-puss
- What do you get when you cross a vampire with the internet? A. blood-thirsty hacker.
The boring stuff
Please let me know if you would rather not receive this excellent weekly email and I will take you off the list.
Remember you can register on the site to receive email as soon as new articles are published.
If you know someone else who might enjoy the newsletter and blog then please forward this email or drop me a mail with his or her email and I will gladly add to the list.
If there is anything you would like me to write about please drop me a mail and I will do my best to oblige.
Cheers and have a great weekend!